Regardless of whether a type of floor can be covered over, Swiss Krono USA always recommends that if you can remove the old floor, do it. It lessens the risk for problems down the road.
Find more information in our helpful “Can I Install Laminate Flooring Over This?” Guide.
We require a clean, dry, flat, level subfloor so our American Concepts laminate flooring products perform best. All subfloors (and floors you can cover over) must meet these specifications:
- Clean, smooth, dry and debris-free
- Must be level within a surface deviance of no more than 1/8 inch over 40 inches.
- Any low spots must be filled in with a leveling compound.
- The area must be covered with an underlayment padding unless planks already have pad attached. This is not optional.
- Must use a 6-mil vapor barrier below the underlayment padding if installing on a concrete subfloor.
- Always follow local ordinances and building codes before replacing or covering over any flooring.
- Check with your trash pickup service before disposing of old flooring for the correct way in your area. Be responsible!
- Always follow installation instructions and wear proper safety gear (eye protection and dust mask).
When you’re ready to buy laminate wood flooring, visit our American Concepts flooring line. We have 10 different floors that are moisture resistant; their lifetime warranty protects for spills that can sit for up to 24-hours. Plus we have 13 other flooring options ranging from 12mm thick with a lifetime warranty to 7mm thick and a 15-year warranty.