Regardless of whether a type of floor can be covered over, Swiss Krono USA always recommends that if you can remove the old floor, do it. It lessens the risk for problems down the road.
Find more information in our helpful “Can I Install Laminate Flooring Over This?” Guide.
We require a clean, dry, flat, level subfloor so our Designer Floor Planks laminate flooring products perform best. All subfloors (and floors you can cover over) must meet these specifications:
- Clean, smooth, dry and debris-free
- Must be level within a surface deviance of no more than 1/8 inch over 40 inches.
- Any low spots must be filled in with a leveling compound.
- The area must be covered with an underlayment padding unless planks already have pad attached. This is not optional.
- Must use a 6-mil vapor barrier below the underlayment padding if installing on a concrete subfloor.
- Always follow local ordinances and building codes before replacing or covering over any flooring.
- Check with your trash pickup service before disposing of old flooring for the correct way in your area. Be responsible!
- Always follow installation instructions and wear proper safety gear (eye protection and dust mask).
When you’re ready to buy laminate wood flooring, click here to visit our online Factory Outlet. You can buy overstocked laminate wood floors directly from the manufacturer and have it shipped to your home. You’ll save up to 30% on laminate floor planks, plus you’ll get free samples, free delivery, and free returns. And some come with a lifetime warranty, the best laminate flooring warranty you can get.