Many consumers have had questions about imported laminate flooring following a recent 60 Minutes segment on certain laminate flooring made in China. And some of you are now concerned about the safety of laminate that is imported from China. So Swiss Krono wants to remind you that you have a safe, quality alternative to imported laminate flooring, and it’s available at a reasonable price. It’s called American Concepts. And it is made in America and made by Americans.
All 57 decors in the American Concepts laminate flooring line are manufactured by Swiss Krono in our 750,000 square foot factory located in Barnwell, South Carolina. The plant is approximately 100 miles northwest of Charleston, South Carolina, and we have been producing laminate flooring from this facility since April, 2005.
The standards Swiss Krono follows when manufacturing American Concepts are among the most stringent in the global laminate flooring industry. Our U.S. manufacturing practices are compliant with the California Air Resources Board’s (CARB) Airborne Toxic Control Measure 93120 Title 17, California Code of Regulations, the most restrictive air control law in the United States. These are the same standards mentioned in the 60 Minutes segment, and our American Concepts products meet the CARB Phase 2 standards.
CARB Phase 2 standards are used when assessing the core board component of laminate flooring. All of our laminate core board suppliers have been certified as CARB 2 compliant. Our suppliers, also located in the U.S., have delivered the requisite independent Third Party Certifier documentation to us, and are regularly audited by the Composite Panel Association. We require a chain of custody certificate for all core board that is delivered into our factory for manufacturing.
Current CARB Phase 2 Emissions Standards are shown below. The core board that we use in the manufacture of all American Concepts products exceeds these standards.
· Core board less than 8mm thick: 0.13 PPM (Parts Per Million)
· Core board 8mm thick and greater: 0.11 PPM
Please note the CARB Phase 2 requirements apply to the core board. The laminating process to produce laminate flooring substantially reduces the emissions from the finished flooring planks. Finally, each flooring collection that we offer has been certified by FloorScore®.
A few more things you should know about why American Concepts laminate flooring is safer for the home and the planet:
· We are members of NALFA, the North American Laminate Flooring Association. NALFA is the only trade association dedicated solely to the laminate-flooring industry.
· We are ISO9001-2008 certified. ISO is an international group that develops rigorous standards with the help of experts around the world. Our certification means that we have products and services that are “safe, reliable and of good quality.” And that Swiss Kronohas minimized errors and reduced waste.
· We are members of the Composite Panel Association, which sets the standards for sustainable practices, testing and certification, and standards for our industry.
· Our laminate flooring is a very earth-friendly flooring solution, because the idea behind laminate flooring is to faithfully recreate the beauty of natural wood in a more durable, longer lasting floor.
· Our laminate flooring requires very minimal maintenance and, unlike hardwood, it will never need to be refinished. There is no need for harsh chemicals when cleaning our floors.
· Our packaging cartons are made from recycled cardboard.
· The decorative paper layer used in our laminate flooring is printed with water-based inks, which are safer for consumers and the environment.
We urge all consumers to verify where the products they are buying were made, then to buy American. It means quality and safety.