We get a lot of questions about how to clean such laminate floors as American Concepts and which floor cleaners to use. Here are our 10 Laminate Floor Cleaner Do’s and Don’ts:
First, let’s review the basics for cleaning laminate floors:
1. Always use a microfiber dust mop and laminate-floor cleaner in a spray bottle.
2. Only spray the microfiber dust mop and NOT the laminate floor directly.
3. It’s OK to sweep or vacuum your laminate floor as long as you don’t vacuum with a beater brush.
What laminate floor cleaners can you use?
4. Bruce® and Bona® laminate-floor cleaners work well.
5. Don’t underestimate how effective a vinegar-and-water solution in a spray bottle is for cleaning your laminate floors!
6. Don’t add soap to your cleaning solution. Soap will make your laminate floors slippery.
Which laminate-floor cleaners or cleaning methods should you stay away from?
7. We’re very glad you asked! Here’s our list of floor cleaners and methods you should stay away from:
• Any kind of soap
• Any steam or wet cleaning system
• Beater brush on vacuum cleaners
• Cleaners with harsh abrasives
• Cleaning agents containing wax, oil or polish — which will leave a dull film on your laminate floor
• Commercial floor cleaners – which will leave a haze on the laminate-floor surface
• Damp mops
• Doctor Bronner’s® liquid soap
• Floor steam cleaners
• Mop and Glo®
• Murphy® Oil Soap
• Scouring powder (such as Comet® or Ajax®)
• Shark® Steam Products
• Steel wool
• Swiffer® Bissell® Steamboost
• Swiffer® Sweeper Wet Mopping Cloths (or similar)
• Swiffer® WetJet (or similar)
What floor cleaner can you use to take a film off your laminate floor?
8. To remove a film from your laminate floor, use 100% pure acetone and combine it with plenty of elbow grease. Yes, it’s hard work, but it works. Make sure the area you are working in is well-ventilated!
How often should you use laminate floor cleaners on your floors?
9. That’s up to you. However, to keep your floors looking glossy, you’ll want to clean them frequently with a microfiber mop and hot water in a spray or mister bottle.
Should you do anything special the first time you clean your laminate floors after installation?
10. First, sweep and vacuum — without a beater brush — to remove all dust and debris from the installation. Next, take the microfiber dust mop and laminate-flooring cleaner in a spray bottle; spray the dust mop and go over your entire floor. Then, step back and admire how beautiful your American Concepts laminate flooring looks.